- ARTIST STATEMENT
- The making of an artist ... nature or nurture?
Graphic Designer to Artist Vincent Thomas
The artist began his creative career entering Sheridan College Graphic Design
- program in 1977, not knowing how to draw.
- His creative talents were displayed by use of typography, photography, colour and design.
By graduation with a Graphic Design Diploma, and 1 year of Business Management,
- he embarked on a 10 year stint as a Book Designer in the Toronto area,
- working for publishing houses Mosaic Press, Oxford University Press,
- Copp Clark Pitman and Hurtig Publishers. Books and Covers for such writers as
- Mary DiMichele, Len Gasparini, Gwendolyn McEwen, Irving Layton and
- noted Canadian Artist Harold Town exposed him to a myriad of talented
- and eccentric creative talents. His book design career culminated
with the design of Hurtigs Canada at the Olympic WInter Games
- in time for the Calgary Olympic WInter Games in 1988.
In 1987 he returned to Guelph and opened a graphic design company and
- since then has designed some of the Citysmore recognizable logos including
- Magic 106.1 FM, Downtown Guelph, Parks and Recreation.
- VISIT GRAPHIC DESIGN & LOGO GALLERY
- COMING SOON
In 1997 he established the Art-in-Guelph web site as a test site for the
- design of web sites. It quickly became an entity
- in its own right and grew into the physical art gallery of the same name until 2002.
- The web site continues to boast the works of over 300 artists.
This exposure to hundreds of the citys visual artists drew him further into the arts
- community and its mindset. Despite the lack of a
- fine artists hand, the thoughts, ideas and creativity bore the markings of an artist,
- inside this graphic designer.
The advent of the computer into his daily work brought to him the discovery
- of the tool that would tap his artistic (rather than design) talents.
The result is the artistic expression of an artist (Vincent Thomas) using the tool of the designer.
- Rich colours and wild effects or calm, natural drawings give the artist great reign
- over the possibilities. The artists ideas are not limited to his/her
- physical limitations/talents in order to express the creative thoughts from within.
- VINCENT'S WORK IS CURRENTLY ON DISPLAY AT
GUELPH ARTISANS STORE
- Old Quebec Street, Downtown Guelph (519) 829-3792
- THE BARBER GALLERY
- 167 Suffolk Street West, Guelph, Ontrario (519) 824-0821
- KLOEPFER GALLERY
- 18 Pailsey Street, Downtown Guelph, (519) 763-3456
- ARTIST SHOWINGS & DISPLAYS
- "BARBER GALLERY" Suffolk Street, Guelph, Ongoing 2005
- "KLOEPFER GALLERY", Paisley Street, Guelph, Ongoing 2005
- GUELPH CREATIVE ARTS ASSOCIATION The Artisan Store,
- Old Quebec Street, Downtown Guelph - Ongoing, 2004, 2005
- GUELPH ARTS FESTIVAL, Old Quebec Street, October 16,17 2004
- ART ON THE STREET Outdoor Group Show, Downtown Guelph -July 17, 2004
- GUELPH CREATIVE ARTS ASSOCIATION Guest Artist - December 1 - 14, 2003
NAWTONTOURE 5 Artist Show, Guelph Visitor Centre- September 20 - October 18, 2003
VERIDIAN 4 Artist Show, Guelph Country Club - August 16 - Sept. 14 2003
ART ON THE STREET Outdoor Group Show, Downtown Guelph -July 19, 2003
UNNATURAL EFFECTS On The Verge 110 Wyndham Street, Guelph, - May/June 2003
ABSTRACT REALITIES with Lisa Lawless, Wyndham Lane Shoes, Guelph, - March, 2003
THE BEST OF ART-IN-GUELPH Group Show, Guelph, - Novermber, 2002
GUELPH 2002 MacDonald Stewart Centre, Guelph, - April 2002
ILLUSIONS 3 Group Show Salon de Tea Quebec Street, Guelph. - February, 2002
UNNATURAL EFFECTS Art-in-Guelph Gallery, Guelph, - (Solo Show) October, 2001
GUELPH ARTS FESTIVAL Guelph, ON (Fall Tour) October, 2001
- INFO FOR ARTISTS
All artwork copyright © by the Artist